Everything that is new or uncommon raises a pleasure in the imagination, because it fills the soul with an agreeable surprise, gratifies its curiosity, and gives it an idea of which it was not before possessed. Joseph Addison

Thursday, December 15, 2005

Book Crossing

I received an e-mail from a friend today very excitedly telling me about the art of Book Crossing. This fascinating passtime now even merits an entry in the Concise Oxford English Dictionary and it is defined as:

bookcrossing

n. the practice of leaving a book in a public place to be picked up and read by others, who then do likewise.

I could not believe my eyes- there is a whole community of book-lovers who now live by the code of the '3 Rs', namely Read a good book, Register it on the BookCrossing website (see the link added to the sidebar) where you will receive a unique ID number with which you label the book, and then Release the book into the wild for another person to enjoy. Releasing a book can be done in many ways, it can be given to a friend, 'forgotten' in a coffee shop, donated to charity etc. The possibilities are endless. Then you wait. Wait for someone to find your book. To see the 'tag' you placed on it, and then to log the number in on the website. This way you can keep track of your book and see the fascinating places it goes and all the people that get to read it and enjoy it as much as you did. HOW COOL IS THAT?!?!?! So now you can share your favourite characters and intimate moments with all the world in a very random and beautiful way. Not to mention the fact that BookCrossing relies very much on Serendipity (one of my favourite words in the whole world) which is defined as:

Serendipity
n. The faculty of making fortunate discoveries by accident.
see the following link:
  • Serendipity


  • Absolutely Fabulous.

    1 Comments:

    Blogger Clovergirl said...

    Hiiii! I released my first book into the wild yesterday! Left it sitting on a bench at a shopping centre, and it was gone when I walked back through an hour later! To tell the truth, it was a crap book and I hated it - I had to set it free because it wasn't getting any love on my bookshelf!
    I am such a dedicated bookcrosser now, how great is it!

    10:09 PM

     

    Post a Comment

    << Home