Everything that is new or uncommon raises a pleasure in the imagination, because it fills the soul with an agreeable surprise, gratifies its curiosity, and gives it an idea of which it was not before possessed. Joseph Addison

Thursday, December 29, 2005

They'll Know We Are Christians

We are one in the Spirit, we are one in the Lord
We are one in the Spirit, we are one in the Lord
And we pray that our unity will one day be restored
And they'll know we are Christians by our love, by our love
Yeah they'll know we are Christians by our love

We will work with each other, we will work side by side
We will work with each other, we will work side by side
And we'll guard each man's dignity and save each man's pride
And they'll know we are Christians by our love, by our love
Yeah, they'll know we are Christians by our love.

These are the lyrics to one of my favourite songs. It is based on Ephesians 4:4 'We are all one body, we have the same Spirit, and we have all been called to the same glorious future." And also John 13:35 "By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another."

Love. Such a small word, but one with such huge implications. I don't think I ever really understood what it meant to love. And I'm not even talking Romantic love (or Eros as it is also referred to) I'm talking about Agape Love, God Love. The love Jesus had for his disciples, and the love he showed us and desires us to have. I'm not saying I didn't love before I found God (or God found me for that matter), but I have come to understand what it means to care, to put someone else's well-being before my own.

I have been richly blessed with absolutely amazing people as friends. It is because of these friends that I am where I am today. I know that sounds cliche, but it is true. Do you know what it's like to have someone who believes in you even more than you ever believed in yourself? How about someone who knows who you are- REALLY knows, sometimes actually knows you better than you know yourself and somehow, inexplicably still loves you. Do you know what it's like to hit a point in your life where nothing makes sense and you're not quite sure what the meaning of anything is only to find that in spite of all that there is someone there who can bring some sense of reality and purpose back to you? In truth I can now answer yes.

Look at the song again- We will work with each other, we will work side by side, and we'll guard each man's dignity and save each man's pride. Isn't that great? Seems somehow like we will never need to guard our own dignity or pride when we are side by side with friends, and personally I think that that is exactly how it was always intented to be. So if this is sounding something like a tribute, you're right, because it is. This is a thank you to each and every person who has had an impact in my life, who has loved me in spite of me and who continues to believe- I love you all dearly and thank God for you daily. May the beginning of 2006 signify a new chapter in all our lives and may you see the beginning of your dreams becoming reality.

Happy New Year.


Marcia & Rach


Marcia & Pam


Jen and Katie


Marcia & Rach


Deb & Jani

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home