Everything that is new or uncommon raises a pleasure in the imagination, because it fills the soul with an agreeable surprise, gratifies its curiosity, and gives it an idea of which it was not before possessed. Joseph Addison

Wednesday, January 25, 2006

A Critical Spirit

Galatians 5:22-23
But when the Holy Spirit controls our lives, he will produce this kind of fruit in us: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. Here there is no conflict with the law.

This is a very popular and well-known verse among most Christians. It is widely used as a measure for our lives and a guide to becoming more Christ-like. However, I am slighly confused, because I do not see 'criticism' in there among the other fruits. Surely it should read: love, joy, peace, criticism, patience, kindness etc...? Let me explain:
I enjoy doing research about books I would like to read or authors I'm interested in. Most often this research is internet based as it literally becomes 'the world at your fingertips'. I find it incredible the amount of information you can gain simply by searching for a single word or topic. Hundreds of thousands of results appear at the click of a mouse-button. My issue arises when I start to research Christian books and authors. To my shock and dismay many of the results that are returned on my searches are negative reports on these books or people. Critical reports on any and all aspects of the person or the resource. What's worse is that these critics are Christians. Christians slagging off Christians. What is that all about?

Now, don't get me wrong, I appreciate that people will not always agree. I also understand that different people have different views and opinions. But when did the goal become finding something that you disagree with? Not only that, finding something and then airing your long-winded, supposedly 'expert' opinion on the matter. Do you know everything there is to know about any one topic? Do you know anything about anything for that matter? So you disagree with someone- SO WHAT? You cannot honestly believe that everyone always agrees with you, can you? Worst of all is that these people are always writing in the name of some church or the other. Don't get me started on THAT! Who are you as an individual to speak on behalf of the church? Do you even know what the church really is? Do you know that the church is the vessel through which God speaks and acts? Not through which he gives pious members on a powertrip the opportunity to share their views with the world. If you want to do that, go to speaker's corner, mate. You might find an audience who cares.

So please, PLEASE consider this- the next time you disagree with someone or something, ask yourself the following question: Have I earned the right to express my opinion here? Or do I just want to make myself feel useful by contributing my own cynicism to the situation? If it's tha latter, why don't you try something new and SHUT IT until you have a foot to stand on?

Remember:
Your love for one another will prove to the world that you are my disciples. (John 13:35)


1 Comments:

Blogger Clovergirl said...

Well I don't agree with that AT ALL!!!
(just kidding!)

1:19 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home