Everything that is new or uncommon raises a pleasure in the imagination, because it fills the soul with an agreeable surprise, gratifies its curiosity, and gives it an idea of which it was not before possessed. Joseph Addison

Friday, March 10, 2006

Africa, my heritage.



Nkosi Sikelel’ iAfrika (Lord Bless Africa)
Maluphakanyisw’ uphondo lwayo (May her glory be lifted high)
Yiva imathandazo yethu (Hear our petitions)

Nkosi Sikelela (Lord bless us)
Thina lusapho lwayo (Us your children)

These are the opening lyrics to South Africa's national anthem. Lord, bless Africa.



Over the last month or so I find my thoughts often drawn to Africa and her beauty. Everywhere I go I am reminded of her heart and her life, even though I am so far removed from her. I can see in my mind's eye the heat rising off the tar on the horizon, I see grasslands that dance to the rythm of the wind and swirling red dust. I see paperbark and acacia trees that spread their umbrealla's wide and throw off their long white thorns like spears. I also see cold blue oceans and towering mountains, sprawling white beaches and brightly painted mud huts.



I never used to understand that Africa was in my blood. Hot, red and dusty she flows through my veins and lives in my heart. For the first time in my life I actually appreciate that. I am proud to call Africa home and now I truly understand that Africa will always be my heritage. Her heart will always be the call that brings that familiar rise to my soul, that roar of the lioness which pierces the darkness of night and says: I belong here. No matter how long I am away I now know that I will never forget... Nkosi Sikelel' iAfrika. Lord, bless Africa!

1 Comments:

Blogger tato fantastico said...

miss pheonix.. you have struck a chord that vibrates intently in my heart. very poetically put.. the undeniable call of africa dwells in the hearts of all her children, you can never not miss africa.

12:08 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home