Everything that is new or uncommon raises a pleasure in the imagination, because it fills the soul with an agreeable surprise, gratifies its curiosity, and gives it an idea of which it was not before possessed. Joseph Addison

Saturday, July 15, 2006

Fight like a Girl

We had a women's day today with Lisa Bevere as guest speaker. It was my first time hearing her speak and OH MY WORD! She rocks! She's into bikes and surfing and skiing and cool stuff like that. And she is a formidable speaker. Another facet of the diamond of women in the Kingdom. She spoke about women needing to be women and men needing to be men. About the 'Battle of the Sexes' being a result of the fall when we started contending with each other, not being allied with each other. What she spoke about came out of her book 'Fight like a Girl', which I bought, because I think there are some mindsets that may possibly (ahem... okay, definitely) need to change in that area of my life.


It was amazing though, because some of the stuff that she spoke about was what God spoke to me about in March last year. About coming from a position of who you are. Knowing who you are and so releasing others to be who they are supposed to be. I was struggling with my identity last year. REALLY struggling. I knew that there was a HUGE dream in my heart but I had no idea how the outworking of that would happen, because I had no idea who I wanted to be. (forget who God had created me to be, at that point it was all about ME...) But as I was wrestling with God about it He really revealed some pretty powerful stuff. This is what I wrote as he was speaking to me:

'God, who am I?  What do you think of me?  What is my real name?   
You are my Wallace.'

'Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus.'

(I never tell lies, but I am a savage.)

(From Waking the Dead, by John Eldredge)


God, who am I?

A cold voice answered: 'Come not between the Nazgul and his prey!
Or he
will not slay thee in thy turn. He will bear thee away to the
house of
lamentation, beyond all darkness, where thy flesh shall
be devoured and
thy shrivelled mind be left naked to the Lidless Eye.'

A sword rang as it was drawn.
'Do what you will; but I will hinder it,
if I may.'

'Hinder me? Thou fool. No living man may hinder me!'

........


'But no living man am I! You look upon a woman.
Eowyn am I, Eomond's
daughter.
You stand between me and my lord and kin.'

.........


A little to the left facing them stood she whom he had
called Dernhelm.
But the helm of her secrecy had fallen from her,
and her bright hair,
released from its bonds, gleamed with pale
gold upon her shoulders. Her
eyes grey as the sea were hard and fell,
and yet tears were on her
cheek. A sword was in her hand,
and she raised her shield against the
horror of her enemy's eyes.
Eowyn it was, and Dernhelm also.

.........


Suddenly the great beast beat its hideous wings, and the wind
of them
was foul. Again it leapt into the air, and then swiftly
fell down upon
Eowyn shrieking, striking with beak and claw.
Still she did not
blench: maiden of the Rohirrim,
child of kings, slender but as a steel blade,
fair but terrible.
A swift blow she dealt, skilled and deadly.

.........


Then tottering, struggling up, with her last strength she drove her
sword between crown and mantle, as the great shoulders bowed before her.

The sword broke sparkling into many shards.


(From The Lord of the Rings, Return of the King,
The Battle of Pelennor
Fields)

Eowyn. Daughter of Kings. Hope of her people. Woman, princess...
Warrior. She knew herself, saw the warrior that
no-one would allow her to be
because she was a woman.
She knew her destiny was on the field of battle

with her king. Forced to be what she was not,
forced to disguise
herselfto get to the place her heart
longed to be. Now not Lady Eowyn, but
nobleman Dernhelm.
And yet, when her moment came, when she met her
destiny,
it was who she was that saved her, not who she pretended to be.

'the helm of her secrecy had fallen from her.'
When she met her foe the
pretence could not save her, but herself could.
Her confidence in who
she was: a woman, a princess, a WARRIOR.

God, who am I? What do you think of me? What is my real name?

You are my Eowyn.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home