Everything that is new or uncommon raises a pleasure in the imagination, because it fills the soul with an agreeable surprise, gratifies its curiosity, and gives it an idea of which it was not before possessed. Joseph Addison

Monday, July 31, 2006

I'm Back

Well, this is my first post from SA. As you can gather I made it here in one piece and actually had a good flight. I was up in the bubble on the 747, I dunno if you've ever flown there, but it's probably the best place you could possibly be as there are fewer seats and so more room. I was right up at the front, so no seats in front of me, and stax of legroom. I also had a window seat, and in the upper deck there are also luggage compartments on the sides, which means I had a great foot rest as well. Perfect.

I didn't sleep much, only about an hour, but that was ok. I saw the most incredible sunrise! I always love sunrise or sunset from the air, but this was particularly beautiful. The sky started to go really deep blue, and then a slight silvery line appeared on the horizon. From there the colour exploded like fire. First light yellow then orange then red... fading to green and blue at the end. Pretty soon the whole spectrum was there, like a huge horizontal rainbow: Violet, Indigo, Blue, Green, Yellow, Orange, Red... they were all there. I sat and watched it and wondered how anyone could ever see something like that and not believe in God? How could something that amazing 'just happen'? I complimented God on a beautiful job, to which he replied 'This one's for you, my baby.' My first sunrise in a new season, and it was spectacular.

So I'm here at my brother's place at the moment and we've just been chilling. It's been great hanging out with them for a change. We had a Braai (BBQ) last night and the food was brilliant. I forgot how good meat is in SA.

The weather has been beautiful, considering it's winter. Evenings are cool, but the days are amazing. I've been going around in pretty much summer gear.

Tonight I'm cooking, and I'm making sweet and sour chicken and cashew nut stir-fry with rice, and I made a fridge tart for dessert. Yum.

Well, on that note, I had better go get started on the food, else we won't eat tonight.

I'm here for another week, so I'll be back soon with more news.

(Oh, and a quick added PS, Fridge Tart is a dessert that is well known and loved in South Africa. There are many varieties, but basically it is a sweet tart that needs to be refridgerated. I made a very simple VERY sweet one with Coconut biscuits, condensed milk with lemon juice and caramel, topped with peach slices... I can hear the ooooh's and aaaaah's as you appreciate the wonder of that!)

3 Comments:

Blogger Clovergirl said...

You made a what? What's a fridge tart??
Wait, wait, here's my best guess: you get whatever you can find in the fridge that isn't off, throw it in a pie case and cook it in the oven.
Then put custard on it.
(Am I close?)

12:14 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sorry no new posts on my blog. I'll post some new stuff as soon as I have time.

you been blogging like crazy so I better take some time out to read and comment on it all!

9:41 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I posted some stuff! enjoi!

3:19 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home