Everything that is new or uncommon raises a pleasure in the imagination, because it fills the soul with an agreeable surprise, gratifies its curiosity, and gives it an idea of which it was not before possessed. Joseph Addison

Wednesday, July 26, 2006

My Last Sunday

So Sunday was my last day at church. And it was a really good day! It was also a day I will never forget. We arrived for the first service, everything got started, the music the atmosphere... church was on. Then, Tim did the altar call. It was powerful (it is also usually at the end of the service, nit the beginning) and lots of people got saved. I had goosebumps and tears and all that stuff.

Then we kept worshipping- I lift my hands to the heavens, for the Lord our God is here...

And then it goes dark. No house lights, no stage lights, no amps.... no power. But the drums kept going, and the crowd kept singing. Louder and louder, more and more powerful until I thought the roof would lift off the building and we would see God looking down on us. It was unreal!


And then Gary is standing in front of us, trying to get us to hush up so he can try and project his voice over 2500 people to tell us what was happening...
Please stay calm, there is no power in the building, we're not sure what happened yet.
Take a seat and remain quiet until we can tell you what needs to happen next.


This is a first.

Next thing one of the venue staff is on stage with a megaphone telling us in a high-pitched voice to please follow the instructions of the staff and evacuate the building. FOR REAL! We had to evacuate. (Thank God we had already done the altar call, huh?)

And so the first service could not continue. There were power cuts throughout central London and there was nothing we could do. Whole city blocks were dark. We could only hope that there would be power later on for the afternoon services.
We went for lunch in the park and hung out with mates. and half and hour before the 4:30 service was due, we got the ok that things could go ahead. PHEW! I was really nervous that I might not make it to church on my last day... THAT would have sucked! But all went well, services were great and saying goodbye was not as bad as I thought. God's peace was with me in a big way.

So now I need to finish packing my boxes today and tomorrow, and watch Lion King tonight and another show with the girls tomorrow, then Friday I hop on a plane... Wow. But you know what? I'm ok with it. I wasn't before, but I'm really looking forward to what's coming.


So, it's you and me God... BRING IT ON!

My Last 'Welcome Home'

The Beautiful Peeps in the Auditorium

1 Comments:

Blogger Clovergirl said...

Omg - drama! That's so fantastic! Talk about a memorable last day at church! (For now) (eefxg)

11:03 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home