Everything that is new or uncommon raises a pleasure in the imagination, because it fills the soul with an agreeable surprise, gratifies its curiosity, and gives it an idea of which it was not before possessed. Joseph Addison

Tuesday, August 01, 2006

The Scientist

I'm sitting in brother's office at the moment. He works from home and had the garden flat converted into his office. He is working at his computer and I am sitting at his secretary's, who is off sick. Other than the odd typing noise or maybe the phone ringing it's quiet. So quiet that I can listen to the wind shushing outside. I love the sound of the wind. It reminds me of when I was a little girl lying in bed and there was a big storm outside. You could almost feel the windows moving under the pressure, but it was never scary. It was safe. I was inside in my bed. My parents were asleep just down the hall. Nothing could hurt me or scare me in that place. I would just lie there and listen. Eventually I would fall asleep to the lullaby of the elements against my window.

Many things have changed since then, but sitting here I feel that same peace and security. I am not a little girl anymore, and my parents are not just down the hall, but I am not afraid. The lyrics of Coldplay's The Scientist have been turning in my head:

Nobody said it was easy
Oh its such a shame for us to part
Nobody said it was easy
No one ever said it would be so hard
Im going back to the start

God never DID say it would be easy. His promise was never that there wouldn't be a storm. His promise was that when the storm hit, he would help us to walk on water. His promise is that He will never leave us or forsake us (Josh 1:5), that everywhere our foot finds place to tread we will be on land that he has already given us (Josh 1:3) that He both precedes and follows us (Ps 139:5). And I take comfort in that. Outside, the storm is raging. The wind is howling. My windows are being buffeted but I stand firm. He made me a promise: Be strong and courageous for you will lead my people to inherit the land I swore to give to their ancestors. Be strong and very courageous. (Josh 1:6) And he is faithful. I am holding on to that promise. It is my strength. It is my confidence. He is good and does only good (Ps 119:68). That is my foundation and on it will I stand.

So take a new grip with your tired hands and stand firm on your shaky legs. Mark out a straight path for your feet. Then those who follow you, though they are weak and lame, will not stumble and fall but will become strong. (Heb 12:12-13)

Well Amen to that!

2 Comments:

Blogger Clovergirl said...

Phoenix - you are amazing. At conference one of the speakers was saying that he wants to stand on the word so much that he sometimes actually stands on his bible while praying. (How cool!)
I don't know if you go that far - but I can certainly see that you have a great revelation of God's heart for you.
You're fantastic. You're going to be fine :-)
(npwce)

8:09 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I MISS THOSE STORMS MAN!!! enjoy!

12:51 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home